Sunday, February 14, 2016

#METC16 Thoughts...


#METC16 was wonderful again this year. I attended several sessions led by Nikki D Robertson, and she challenged me with something I had been considering for a while now... blogging. I'm a terrible blogger. I mean, I'm really awful. Generally, I have an "all or nothing" personality. In the past I've had a hard time giving blogging my all, so instead I've given it nothing. But then Nikki had to go and say this.


Sigh. So here I am. Of course, it's easy to feel I have nothing to say. But then...


So let's start with the obvious. METC is amazing. I woke up Wednesday morning early because I couldn't sleep. I just couldn't wait to get back to such an amazing community of innovators. I dare you to go to METC and not leave inspired. Personally, I have a few new goals.

I want to be more intentional about connecting to the world through the library and through working with students and teachers. I want to tweet more with students and allow them to see the responses. I want to connect them with authors and classrooms. I also want to encourage teachers to participate in the Global Read Aloud next fall, perhaps with a free copy of the book, and of course with assisting in any way needed to form connections.

I want to be more intentional about setting up the library with a bookstore model. We are currently slowly but surely moving through genrefying the library. I love love love the end result and how accessible the books are to students, but I would not necessarily encourage other librarians to tackle this project at the same time as launching a makerspace. ;) However, Nikki Robertson's genrefication session resparked my push to get it done! I also want to face more books out, create more displays and other ways to encourage reading, and massively upgrade the signage. I'm also considering putting out more "sit and chill" activities such as puzzles, chess, mancala, and/or checkers.

I want to be focused on developing and nurturing Future Ready students through our makerspace. The library is the perfect place for open-ended inquiry and exploring STEM/STEAM. I love the focus on empathy that was brought by Kira Landolt and so many others.



Those are my highlights. Were you at #METC16? What were your biggest takeaways?

No comments:

Post a Comment